School of Mathematics

Support during your MSc

There are various avenues of support available in the School to help you succeed in your studies.

Personal Tutor

Every student has a Personal Tutor, a member of the teaching staff who provides academic guidance and support.

You will meet your Personal Tutor regularly throughout your studies. They will help you choose your courses and discuss your progress with you, providing advice on how to make the most of your time as an MSc student. Personal Tutors can also advise you on where to find other forms of support if you need them.

Image of a student getting assistance from the Student Learning Advisor

Student Learning Advisor

The Student Learning Advisor offers support to help you with advice on study technique, as well as general pastoral support. You can meet with them for study advice, or for help and support if things are not going as well as they should. The Student Learning Advisor also organises a variety of social events and activities for MSc students, and works closely with the Careers Service to deliver employability events throughout the year to help you take control of your future after the MSc.

Study spaces

Image of the MSc Hub

There are several study spaces available for MSc students at the King's Buildings campus:

  • The MScHub is an informal social and study space for mathematics MSc students, located in the James Clerk Maxwell Building. There is a large table for group work, as well as a small kitchen, lockers and several soft seating areas.
  • The Computer Lab located in the James Clerk Maxwell Building is also available for use by MSc students.
  • You will have access to various libraries across the University, including the Murray Library which houses most of the mathematics books and journals, and the Main Library which is one of the largest academic libraries in the world. The Main Library in George Square is available for students to use 24/7.

Additional support

Additional support is available from outside the School of Mathematics from many university services, including:

  • The Advice Place: The Advice Place is run by the student association, EUSA, and offers an independent and impartial source of information and advice. They can help with everything from academic matters through to finance and accommodation.
  • The Disability Service: If you have a disability, e.g. dyslexia, the University's Student Disability Service can arrange support for you.

    If you are offered a place to study here and you have declared a disability, you should contact the Service as early as possible so they can make arrangements for the start of your studies

  • The English Language Education unit: If you are an international student whose first language is not English, the English Language Education unit offer free non-credit bearing courses to help support your studies.