Current job vacancies at the School of Mathematics are listed in this section's menu (the left-hand column).
Please note that all vacancies close at 11.59pm UK time on the closing date unless otherwise specified.
Working in the School of Mathematics
We strive for a family-friendly School of Mathematics. Each year we run a Welcome Party, a School Ceilidh (pronounced "Cayley" - and meaning rowdy Scottish dancing), a bike ride into bucolic East Lothian, a "Muddy Boots" hike (with applied mathematicians) and a Christmas party with a visit from Santa. In addition, the city is truly wonderful and green with an incredible range of things to do from a huge castle to a little city farm: it's regularly voted as one of the best cities to live in, both in Europe and the world.
The School and the University have a number of policies to support a good life/work balance, including :
- Core hours policy: all meetings that involve the whole School (such as School Forum, School Colloquium, Board of Studies, etc.) take place within core hours between 10:00 - 16:00.
- Shared parental leave: by UK law, parents get 1 year, 2 months of which are paid. The University of Edinburgh has possibilities that can supplement this policy.
- The School of Mathematics has guidelines for academic members of staff returning to work after maternity leave.
- Support for carers : if you need additional caring support when you are away for a conference or other similar activity, the School of Mathematics can contribute. Small awards (of up to £200) are available to staff and PhD students and also external visitors to the School.
- The Arcadia Nursery: a beautiful nursery with a big garden, located at the King's Buildings campus, where the School of Mathematics is located. The children of many of our faculty attend.
More generally, the School supports the London Mathematical Society's Good Practice Scheme which encourages transparent, fair and inclusive practice in the organisation, procedures and culture of the School. In addition, we are taking many steps to help to support a greater diversity within our School, including gender, ethnicity and neurodiversity.
University of Edinburgh job site
The full list of the wider University's currect openings can be found here.
The University's policies on topics such as academic promotion, childcare, family leave policies, parental leave, and maternity leave, can all be found on the University's HR webpages.