School of Mathematics

Visiting Research Students

Information for those wishing to visit the School of Mathematics as a research student.

Visiting Research Students

The School of Mathematics welcomes applications to our Visitors Programme from research students who are registered at another university.

Registered Visiting Research Students coming to the University of Edinburgh can gain research experience which will directly contribute to your degree. There are two categories of visiting research students:


  1. Visiting Research Student for less than or up to three months (twelve weeks): you are not charged a fee and are not subject to the university’s English language entry requirements;
  2. Visiting Research Student for more than three months (twelve weeks) and up to and including twelve months: you are charged a flat rate of £900 in academic year 2023/24 and are subject to the University’s English language entry requirements. [There is further information regarding this below.]


All visiting students who attend the University for more than two weeks must be recorded on the University’s student record system, EUCLID. Once registered, you have access to full library and IT facilities. You can also receive an official record of the time spent at the University of Edinburgh.

If you wish to visit the School of Mathematics as a visiting research student, you must follow the process outlined below-

  • complete the visiting student application form and send it to the Graduate School (; 
  • submit a supporting letter from your supervisor at your home institution;
  • submit a supporting letter from your potential supervisor in the School of Mathematics;
  • a letter from your home institution confirming your registration.

You must clearly indicate the number of whole months of your visit (please note visits must start on the 1st of a month, i.e. 1st June, 1st July, etc). The maximum length of time you can visit the School is 12 months. In certain circumstances, your visit can be extended but this will be dependent on a number of factors and you must consult the Graduate School. 

Supervisors of prospective visiting students must discuss with the Graduate School your study space and equipment requirements before your visit commences.

International students and Visas

Due to the UK's departure from the EU, after 1 January 2021 any student visiting the School from outside the UK will be required to apply for either a Standard Visitor visa or a Student Visa. This will be dependent on the length of your visit.

The Standard Visitor route is most suitable if your visit is for 6 months or less. Information about this route is available here. There are some important points for you to note regarding this visa- you cannot undertake any type of work (paid or unpaid) and cannot access medical treatment via the National Health Service (NHS) while you are here. This visa cannot be extended. 

The Student route has replaced the previous Tier 4 system and the rules remain largely the same. If your visit is for 6 months or more, you must apply for this visa. Information about this is available here

For more information on visas and immigration, please visit the Student Immigration website- 

English language requirements

Any Visiting Research Student applicant in attendance for longer than three months, will be expected to provide evidence that you meet the minimum English language entry requirements.

These are either-

a) One of: IELTS Academic: total 6.5 (at least 6.0 in each module); TOEFL-iBT: total 92 (at least 20 in each module); PTE(A): total 61 (at least 56 in each of the "Communicative Skills" sections); CAE and CPE: total 176 (at least 169 in each module); Trinity ISE: ISE II with distinctions in all four components. [Language tests must be no more than two years old at the time of your arrival.]


b) A degree taught and assessed in English in a Majority English-Speaking Country as defined by UKVI (these must be no more than three and a half years old at the beginning of your visit).

However, if you are coming for longer than three months (twelve weeks) but do not require a Student visa for your visit, the Graduate School may be able to consider a request for flexibility in the above English language requirements. Your supervisor will be required to provide the Graduate School with written confirmation of the following:

  • they will actively supervise you whilst you are in Edinburgh;
  • they have communicated with you and are happy that you have demonstrated the requisite English language skills to flourish when visiting, both academically and culturally;
  • they take responsibility for ensuring you receive the support needed to manage the general academic side of your visit to Edinburgh.

If evidence of competency in English cannot be provided your application will not be considered by the School.

Related Links

The University's visiting and non-graduating student policy is available here-

Information about tuition fees is available here-