Maths Week Scotland a huge success for the Outreach Team
Our Mathematics Outreach Team has contributed to the nationwide initiative Maths Week Scotland with a wide range of in person and online events for people of all ages and backgrounds.
Our program included workshops for teachers and educators, Maths Circles for families, and an exhibit about geometry, projections, and optical illusions. Further details about the different events can be found at the School of Mathematics Outreach Website.
Over the course of Maths Week the School of Mathematics was able to engage over 600 people, while photos of our events appeared on national press. Feedback from visitors was extremely positive. Below are some feedback quotes from people who took part in our events:
- Thank you! I had lots of fun, and got ideas to apply in the classroom immediately. (School Teacher)
- Great to have in person events again and we look forward to working with the School of Maths. (School Teacher)
- It makes maths seem like something that you can do for fun. (13 years old pupil)
- Thank you very much for offering online math circle event (and not only in person event). In this way more people can get access to the event and therefore more inclusive. Great! (parent)
- My son and I both loved the fun nature of the exercises, the fact we could sit down and start wherever we liked, and the availability of volunteers to help us talk through our workings. (parent)
- Challenging question and nice staff around to help.
- I have some of the best days of my life with the maths circle. (pupil)
- [The Geometry Exhibit] was mind blowing. (adult visitor)
The School of Mathematics will continue running a wide range of events for the general public throughout the year. If you would like to get involved please contact Francesca.email@example.com.