A Manifesto for Higher Education in Mathematical Sciences 2023+
A one-day meeting taking place on Monday 17 April 2023.
The last few years have seen rapid change in higher education, and many UK universities are embarking on reviews of their curricula. It is therefore timely to arrange a day of thought-provoking talks, from leading academics in UK Mathematical Sciences, to address the question:
What are the purposes of our degrees?
The day is also an opportunity for community discussion of aptitudes we would like our graduates to develop and the wider goals of the education we aim to provide.
The following speakers have confirmed attendance.
- Rachel Hilliam (The Open University and Chair of the Alliance for Data Science Professionals)
- Kevin Houston (University of Leeds)
- Paola Iannone (Loughborough University)
- Duncan Lawson (Coventry University and Chair of Advisory Group for the Subject Benchmark Statement for Mathematics, Statistics and Operational Research 2022)
- Steve Otto (Chief Technology Officer, The R&A)
Monday 17 April 2023. Refreshments available from 09:00; talks starting 10:00. The meeting will finish by 17:00.
Lecture Theatre B, James Clark Maxwell Building, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh.
Higher Education Teaching and Learning Workshop Series 2022/23
This workshop is part of a series of workshops funded by the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA), the Royal Statistical Society (RSS) and the London Mathematical Society (LMS). Details of the other workshops in the series will follow in due course.
All workshops in the series are free to attend but require booking a place.