How to find me
(Last updated, July 2020)
For all initial IT support requests, please
go to the Maths IT Helpdesk, room JCMB 2313
contact Maths IT Support by email.
If you need to discuss a (non-support) matter with me (eg, web projects), please email to make an appointment to ensure that the time is suitable.
- It can be highly inconvenient to have to switch out of 'programming mode' if you visit unexpectedly without advance notice.
- To avoid disturbing my colleagues, it is usually more courteous to meet in your office, rather than mine.
How to contact Maths IT Support
- Maths IT Helpdesk room:
JCMB 2313currently closed
- Maths IT Support website: intranet.maths.ed.ac.uk/it-support
- Maths IT quick answers
- Maths IT Support email address: support@maths…
(Please do not send support requests to personal email addresses)
- Maths IT Support telephone:
505100(not contactable by phone while remote working)
Support by email
Please send all new support requests to the support email address as this enables the Computing Officer who is on first-line support duty that day to initially handle the requests. You should only send support-related emails to our personal email addresses if you have been specifically asked to do so, in relation to a particular ongoing request.
Your support request is stored in the support tracking system, which allows progress towards resolving your problem to be recorded, and for your request to be passed between different IT staff if necessary, until we can resolve the problem for you.
The use of this system also avoids any unnecessary delays in responding to your request (if it were sent to me directly) if I am not present for any reason, such as being away at meetings, part-time working, holidays, illness, etc.
This insistence on following these procedures may seem somewhat bureaucratic, but it is because of these genuine reasons that this system exists.
NB: If you send a support enquiry to my personal email address, I will not forward it to support@maths before the end of the day, "as a learning experience". ;-P
If you have read this far, and have a genuine need to be able to email me personally, my email address is: D.Marsh at the University's domain. Note that I have zero tolerance for spammers.
- Colour printer testcard (PDF), SSI test, and other useful test files
- Last Train to Trancentral (OGG audio, web player) (Wikipedia)
- Last Train to Trancentral (OGG audio, direct link) (Wikipedia)
My other websites
I am now using the wiki service for most of my web information:
- infomat wiki
- King's Buildings Active Travel wiki
- Maths Information: School of Mathematics internal administrative news
as well as the blog hosting service:
Search engine food
(Hi, please index us! :-) )
- STACK (System for Teaching and Assessment using a Computer algebra Kernel)
- Permalink to the STACK demonstration site
- Edinburgh SIAM-IMA Student Chapter