School of Mathematics

What support will I have?

There are various kinds of support on offer, to help you succeed both in your degree and in your career afterwards.

Personal Tutor

Every student has a Personal Tutor, a member of the teaching staff who provides academic guidance and support.

You will meet your Personal Tutor regularly throughout your studies. They will help you choose your courses and discuss your progress with you, providing advice on how to make the most of your time at university. Personal Tutors can also advise you on where to find other forms of support if you need them.

Student Learning Advisor

A student chatting with the Student Learning Advisor in the Maths Hub
A student chatting with the Student Learning Advisor in the Maths Hub

Our Student Learning Advisor is another source of help and advice. You will see her in Freshers' Week as part of a programme of activities to help you settle in to your studies. You can also meet with her for study advice, or for help and support if things are not going as well as they should.

You will also meet her in group meetings throughout your degree, including ones designed to help with developing exam skills and preparing you for your future career.

Peer Support

As well as working with other students in the MathsBase or Maths Hub, you can take part in MathPALs sessions where trained higher-year students help first-year students to study.

You can take part in events run by the undergraduate society MathSoc, such as pub quizzes and general-interest lectures. MathSoc have also established a system of “academic families” to help new students settle in and meet students in higher years.

Careers Service

Our graduates go on to a wide range of careers, and the University's Careers Service is on hand to support you in finding and applying for a job.

One of the Careers Advisers takes particular responsibility for students in the School of Mathematics. They work closely with our Student Learning Advisor to put on events ranging from CV writing advice to networking with alumni. As well as being available for personal appointments, you can see the Careers Advisor at one of their regular drop-in advice sessions.

Institute for Academic Development

The IAD website contains resources with advice about studying techniques and good academic practice. The IAD also run workshops on topics like time management and preparing for exams, and offer one-to-one consultations.

Advice Place

Staff at the EUSA Advice Place office
Staff at the EUSA Advice Place office

The Advice Place run by the student association, EUSA, offers an independent and impartial source of information and advice. They can help with everything from academic matters through to finance and accommodation.

Disability Service

If you have a disability, e.g. dyslexia, the University's Student Disability Service can arrange support for you.

If you are offered a place to study here and you have declared a disability, you should contact the Service as early as possible so they can make arrangements for the start of your studies.