Sir Michael Atiyah
Sir Michael Atiyah OM FRS FRSE FMedSci FAA FREng, 1929 - 2019
The School of Mathematics is very saddened to announce that Sir Michael Atiyah passed away on 11 January 2019.
Michael Atiyah was a great mathematician whose work will continue to influence scientists, far in to the future. To us in Edinburgh he was a tremendous colleague, to the community of mathematicians and physicists he was an inspiration, and to people all across the world he was a wonderful friend. We will all miss him greatly.
Professor Iain Gordon,
Head of School of Mathematics.
About Sir Michael Atiyah
- Wikipedia entry
- MacTutor entry
- Celebratio entry of Michael Atiyah.
- Celebratio interview with Lily Atiyah.
- Michael and Lily Atiyah Portrait Gallery at the James Clerk Maxwell Building, King's Buildings, University of Edinburgh.
- Some mathematical ancestors and some descendants.
- Remembering Michael Atiyah, International Centre for Theoretical Sciences News, Volume V, Issue 1, 2019. Also a reminiscence.
- Sir Michael visited HKUST often and his talks were recorded.
- From the get-go, Sir Michael was a great supporter of the Hamilton Mathematical Institute at the Trinity College, Dublin.
- Shortly before he died he gave a series of lectures at Fudan.