Miguel de Carvalho
Research InterestsApplied Statistics, Biostatistics, Econometrics, Risk Analysis, Statistics of Extremes
Before joining the University of Edinburgh I have held research and teaching positions at PUC Chile, EPFL, Banco de Portugal, and UNL. I am an applied mathematical statistician with a variety of research interests including, inter alia, statistical inferences for small-probability events, geometrical statistics, methods for data visualization and graphical learning, econometrics, and medical diagnostic assessment.
- Associate Editor, Journal of the American Statistical Association (2018-onwards).
- Associate Editor, Annals of Applied Statistics (2014-onwards).
- Associate Editor, Computational Statistics and Data Analysis (2017-onwards).
- Associate Editor, Statistics and Public Policy (2015-onwards).
- Editor, Bernoulli News (Bernoulli Society).
- PhD in Mathematics with emphasis on Statistics, Universidade Nova de Lisboa (2009)
- MSc in Economics, Nova School of Business and Economics (2009)
- BSc in Mathematics, Universidade Nova de Lisboa (2004)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (2012-2016): Assistant Professor (2012-2015) and Associate Professor (2016);
- École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (2010-2012): Post-Doctoral Fellow and Lecturer;
- Banco de Portugal (2009‒2010): Visiting researcher at the Portuguese Central Bank;
- Universidade Nova de Lisboa (2009): where I started lecturing.