Research InterestsCapture-recapture; Bayesian inference; hidden Markov models; state-space models; missing data; applications in ecology and epidemiology.
Recent Conference and Workshop Involvement
2017 Invited speaker at Advanced in Data Science (Manchester)
2016 Invited speaker at CMStatistics (Seville; Spain)
2016 Coulter McDowell lecture (Holloway; London)
2016 Invited speaker at the Young Statisticians Meeting (London);
2016 Invited speaker at International Statistical Ecology Conference (Seattle);
2015 150th LMS Popular Lecturer (London and Glasgow);
2015 Invited author of newspaper article "How to count invisible people", The Guardian;
2014 Invited speaker at International Biometrics Conference (Florence).
I joined the University of Edinburgh in 2015 to take up the position of the Thomas Bayes' Chair of Statistics. Prior to my appointment I was a lecturer and reader in Statistics at the University of St Andrews (2003-15) and previously held an EPSRC post-doctoral fellowship (2003-5). In 2017 I was elected a Fellow of the Learned Society of Wales.
- Elected President of the International Biometrics Society: British and Irish Region, 2019-20 (incoming president, 2018; outgoing president, 2021);
- Elected Royal Statistical Society Council Member, 2018-22;
- Associate Editor for Biometrics, 2017-19;
- Associate Editor for Royal Society Open Science, 2016-19
- Turing fellow of the Alan Turing Institute, 2016-18;
- Programme committee member of the Alan Turing Institute, 2016-18;
- Royal Statistical Society Research Section Committee member, 2016-19;
- International Biometrics Society Editorial Advisory Committee Member, 2016-19;
- Associate Editor for Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Ecological Statistics, 2012+;
- Royal Statistical Society Honours Committee Member, 2016-18;
- International Biometric Society Elected Council Member, 2013-7.
- Reader in Statistics, University of St Andrews, 2010-15;
- Lecturer in Statistics, University of St Andrews, 2003-10;
- EPSRC post-doctoral fellow, 2003-5;
- Research associate, University of Cambridge, 2001-3
PhD University of Bristol (2001)
BSc University of Bristol (1998)