My research interests encompass several facets of convex and nonconvex optimization, including theory, algorithms, and applications. I am particularly interested in developing optimization models with desirable structural properties for various real-life applications, exploiting problem-specific properties to develop effective solution methods, understanding the worst-case behaviour of such algorithms, and implementation of algorithms. On the theoretical side, my recent research interests focus on exact and approximate representations of discrete and nonconvex optimization problems via convex conic optimization. My work on applications includes problems arising from electricity markets, wireless networks, logistics, graph theory, and machine learning.
I am a Reader in Operational Research. After earning my B.S. degree in Industrial Engineering at Bilkent University in Ankara, Turkey, I received my M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Operations Research from Cornell University in Ithaca, New York (USA). Prior to joining the University of Edinburgh, I held positions at Stony Brook University (USA), Bilkent University (Turkey), and Koc University (Turkey).
- Member of the Editorial Board, Optimization Methods and Software (2008 – present)
- Member of the Editorial Board, Optimization Letters (2014 – present)
- Associate Editor, EURO Journal on Computational Optimization (2020 – present)
- Associate Editor, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications (2021 – present)
- Koc University, Istanbul, Turkey (2011 - 2019)
- Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey (2005 - 2011)
- Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, New York, USA (2001- 2005)
Ph.D. Cornell University (2001)
M.S. Cornell University (2000)
B.S. Bilkent University (1997)