Capture-recapture; Bayesian inference; hidden (semi-)Markov models; state-space models; missing data; individual heterogeneity; integrated models; applications in ecology and epidemiology.
Recent Conference and Workshop Involvement
2020 Invited keynote speaker at the Royal Statistical Society Conference (virtual).
2020 Invited inaugural speaker at Canadian Statistical Science Institute (CASSI) National Seminar Series (virtual).
2019 Co-organiser of ICMS workshop on "Addressing Statistical Challenges of Modern Technological Advances" (Edinburgh);
2019 Invited speaker at Conference of Applied Statistics Ireland (Dundalk; Ireland);
2019 Co-organiser of "Global Expert Working Group on Multiple Systems Estimation of Modern Slavery" (Edinburgh);
2019 ICMS Public lecture - "The Rise and Fall and Rise of Bayesian Statistics" (Edinburgh);
2018 Invited speaker at Welsh Mathematical Colloquium (Gregynog; Wales);
2018 Invited speaker at Research Students' Conference (Sheffield);
2017 Invited speaker at Advances in Data Science (Manchester);
2016 Invited speaker at CMStatistics (Seville; Spain);
2016 Coulter McDowell lecture (Holloway; London);
2016 Invited speaker at the Young Statisticians Meeting (London);
2016 Invited speaker at International Statistical Ecology Conference (Seattle);
2015 150th LMS Popular Lecturer (London and Glasgow);
2015 Invited author of newspaper article "How to count invisible people", The Guardian.
I joined the University of Edinburgh in 2015 to take up the position of the Thomas Bayes' Chair of Statistics. Prior to my appointment I was a lecturer and reader in Statistics at the University of St Andrews (2003-15) and previously held an EPSRC post-doctoral fellowship (2003-5).
In 2017 I was elected a Fellow of the Learned Society of Wales; and in 2018 a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
From 2016-20 I am a Turing Fellow; in 2020-21 I am a Leverhulme research fellow.
- Elected President of the International Biometrics Society: British and Irish Region, 2019-20 (incoming president, 2018; outgoing president, 2021);
- Deputy Director of the National Centre for Statistical Ecology, 2019+;
- Elected Royal Statistical Society Council Member, 2018-22;
- Associate Editor for Biometrics, 2017-19;
- Associate Editor for Royal Society Open Science, 2016-19;
- Turing fellow of the Alan Turing Institute, 2016-20;
- Programme committee member of the Alan Turing Institute, 2016-18;
- Royal Statistical Society Research Section Committee member, 2016-19;
- International Biometrics Society Editorial Advisory Committee Member, 2016-19;
- Royal Statistical Society Honours Committee Member, 2016-18.
- Associate Editor for Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Ecological Statistics, 2012+;
- Reader in Statistics, University of St Andrews, 2010-15;
- Lecturer in Statistics, University of St Andrews, 2003-10;
- EPSRC post-doctoral fellow, 2003-5;
- Research associate, University of Cambridge, 2001-3
PhD University of Bristol (2001)
BSc University of Bristol (1998)