Capture-recapture; Bayesian inference; hidden (semi-)Markov models; state-space models; missing data; applications in ecology and epidemiology.
Recent Conference and Workshop Involvement
2019 Co-organiser of ICMS workshop on "Addressing Statistical Challenges of Modern Technological Advances" (Edinburgh);
2019 Invited speaker at Conference of Applied Statistics Ireland (Dundalk; Ireland);
2019 Co-organiser of "Global Expert Working Group on Multiple Systems Estimation of Modern Slavery" (Edinburgh);
2019 ICMS Public lecture - "The Rise and Fall and Rise of Bayesian Statistics" (Edinburgh);
2018 Invited speaker at Welsh Mathematical Colloquium (Gregynog; Wales);
2018 Invited speaker at Research Students' Conference (Sheffield);
2017 Invited speaker at Advances in Data Science (Manchester);
2016 Invited speaker at CMStatistics (Seville; Spain);
2016 Coulter McDowell lecture (Holloway; London);
2016 Invited speaker at the Young Statisticians Meeting (London);
2016 Invited speaker at International Statistical Ecology Conference (Seattle);
2015 150th LMS Popular Lecturer (London and Glasgow);
2015 Invited author of newspaper article "How to count invisible people", The Guardian.
I joined the University of Edinburgh in 2015 to take up the position of the Thomas Bayes' Chair of Statistics. Prior to my appointment I was a lecturer and reader in Statistics at the University of St Andrews (2003-15) and previously held an EPSRC post-doctoral fellowship (2003-5).
In 2017 I was elected a Fellow of the Learned Society of Wales; and in 2018 a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
- Deputy Director of the National Centre for Statistical Ecology, 2019+;
- Elected President of the International Biometrics Society: British and Irish Region, 2019-20 (incoming president, 2018; outgoing president, 2021);
- Elected Royal Statistical Society Council Member, 2018-22;
- Associate Editor for Biometrics, 2017-19;
- Associate Editor for Royal Society Open Science, 2016-19;
- Turing fellow of the Alan Turing Institute, 2016-20;
- Programme committee member of the Alan Turing Institute, 2016-18;
- Royal Statistical Society Research Section Committee member, 2016-19;
- International Biometrics Society Editorial Advisory Committee Member, 2016-19;
- Associate Editor for Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Ecological Statistics, 2012+;
- Royal Statistical Society Honours Committee Member, 2016-18.
- Reader in Statistics, University of St Andrews, 2010-15;
- Lecturer in Statistics, University of St Andrews, 2003-10;
- EPSRC post-doctoral fellow, 2003-5;
- Research associate, University of Cambridge, 2001-3
PhD University of Bristol (2001)
BSc University of Bristol (1998)