*** For updated information, please check my website at kaibohu.github.io . ***
I work on numerical analysis and PDEs, in particular, structure-preserving methods and finite element exterior calculus.
The vision of my current research includes:
1) connections between homological algebra, geometry, and mathematical and numerical analysis; geometric foundations of continuum mechanics,
2) discretizations of PDEs and discrete theories (discrete geometry, discrete mechanics etc.),
3) structure-preserving approaches for solving the Einstein equations in general relativity, with potential applications in computational astronomy and gravitational-wave sciences,
4) finite element methods (high order methods, preconditioning etc.) and applications (fluid and solid mechanics, magnetohydrodynamics etc.),
5) scientific computing, computation of spectrum, localization.
Recent Conference and Workshop Involvement
- October 2023, Mathematics Seminar at the University of Dundee, UK. (upcoming)
- May 2024, Banff International Research Station (BIRS) “Homological Perspective on Splines and Finite Elements” workshop, University of British Columbia Okanagan (UBCO), Canada. (upcoming)
- September 2023, seminar at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (Shenzhen), China.
- August 2023, seminar at Shanghai University of Finance and Economics, China.
- August 2023, seminar at Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China.
- August 2023, ICIAM, co-organiser of MS "Finite element complexes and multivariate splines" with Nelly Villamizar. Tokyo, Japan.
- August 2023, seminar at University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), Hefei, China.
- August 2023, The 2023 International Workshop on Scientific Computing, Feng Kang Youth Forum on Scientific Computing (FKYF), The Institute of Computational Mathematics and Scientific/Engineering Computing of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China.
- July 2023, PKU Mathematics Forum, Beijing, China.
- July 2023, Structure preserving numerical methods for partial differential equations, Bernoulli Center, EPFL, Switzerland.
- June 2023, the 29th Biennial Numerical Analysis Conference, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK. Co-organiser of MS "Structure-preserving discretization of Hilbert complexes" with Deepesh Toshniwal.
- April 27, 2023. With Davide Spriano, I was co-organising a Maths Afternoon at Christ Church, University of Oxford.
- February 2023, SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering (CSE23), Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- February 2023, Computational Mathematics and Applications Seminar, Oxford, UK.
- February 2023, Imperial–UCL Numerics Seminar, London, UK.
- February 2023, Topological Data Analysis group meeting, Oxford, UK.
- January 2023, visit Queen Mary University London, UK.
- December 2022, visit and seminar talk at TU Delft, Netherlands.
- December 2022, Gravity Seminar Series of STAG (gravity/string theory/mathematical physics group) of Mathematical Sciences, University of Southampton, UK.
- December 2022, The 8th Workshop for Young Researchers in Scientific Computing, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China (online).
- November 2022, online seminar at Chinese Academy of Sciences, China.
- October-November 2022, visit TU Wien, Austria.
- October 2022, seminar at University of Hong Kong, China.
- September 2022, 56th Meeting of the Society for Natural Philosophy: Mechanics and Analysis, Pisa, Italy. (round-table talk)
- September 2022, INdAM Meeting "Approximation Theory and Numerical Analysis meet Algebra, Geometry, Topology", Palazzone di Cortona, Italy.
- July 2022, SciCADE International Conference on Scientific Computation and Differential Equations in Reykjavik, Iceland.
- July 2022, Christ Church Scientific Afternoon, Oxford, UK.
- June 2022, 30 years of Acta Numerica conference at the Banach Centre in Bedlewo, Poland.
- June 2022, MFO workshop "Hilbert Complexes: Analysis, Applications, and Discretizations", Oberwolfach, Germany.
- June 2022, Canadian Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society annual meeting, UBC Okanagan Canada. (online)
- June 2022, European Finite Element Fair, Aalto University, Finland.
- April 2022, Culham Centre for Fusion Energy, UK.
- March 2022, Heidelberg University, Germany.
- December 2021, Los Alamos National Lab, USA (online seminar talk).
- December 2021, Institute of Computational Mathematics and Scientific/Engineering Computing, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China (online seminar talk).
- September 2021, European finite element fair, Paris, France. (online talk)
I obtained my PhD at Peking University in 2017. I had postdoctoral positions at the University of Oslo (2017-2018) and the University of Minnesota (2018-2020) before moving to University of Oxford as a Hooke Research Fellow in 2021. In Oxford, I was affiliated with Mathematical Institute and Christ Church. I am currently a Royal Society University Research Fellow (Oxford 2022-2023, Edinburgh 2023-present).