Past Employability Events
- Video: Employability Skills
- A session to provide students with extra support going into an uncertain recruitment environment.
Outline of the session:
1. Presentation from Maths Career Consultant about looking for a job and in particular in this environment.
2. Talks from alumni and their experiences of finding a job after graduation covering:
- How did they decide what to do after graduation? Who did they get advice from?
- How did they go about finding a job or further education? What was useful? What was not so useful?
- What did they find surprising once they started their new job/further education? What did they wish they knew before they started?
Senior Data Scientist at SparkBeyond.
MSc Operational Research with Computational Optimisation (2016)
Operational Researcher for the Civil Service at Department for Work and Pensions
MSc Operational Research (2019)
Actuarial Analyst at Lloyds Banking Group
BSc Mathematics (2015)
Public affairs officer for the Children and Young People's Mental Health Coalition.
Philosophy and Mathematics (2018, Sabbatical Officer 2017)
3. Talks from companies about what their expectations of a new graduate are:
- What skills do they expect a graduate to have before starting in the workplace?
What are the key attributes that they feel make new graduates successful at work?
- What do they feel is the main difference between studying at university and working in an organisation?
- Examples (good and bad) of what they have experienced and observed in their companies.
Royal Bank of Scotland