- I am a member of Penicuik Harriers
- Notable races
- The Pancharevo Trail Marathon: 05:02 in 2018 was very tough, with
1600m climb and rather too sunny, but the best of the scenery was
fantastic. I was first M50 - but no trophy! - and 2/49
M40. Unfortunately the cumulative effect of training for and running
three trail marathons in six months triggered a kneee injury from
which I have not yet recovered.
- The Glentress Marathon: 04:31 in 2018 was quite attractive and tough, but brought me a second trophy in four months as first M50.
- The Tweed Valley Ultra (50km): 04:37 in 2017 was mainly dull and tough but brought me my first trophy (for coming second) in 39 years of running, and I was first M50.
- The Edinburgh Marathon: 03:30 in 2017 was dull, tough but satisfying.
- The Scottish Island Peaks Race (300km of sailing and
100km on roads, trails and mountains on Mull, Jura and Arran) as part
of team "Vaila"
- In 2011 the wind and choppy seas
meant that the sailing legs were fast and not conducive to recovery
from the hill legs: we finished in 43 hours.
- In 2012 there was too
little wind and the sea was generally calm so there was plenty of time
to rest: we (only just) finished in 68 hours.
- The Pentland Skyline which I've completed four times
- The Carnethy
'5' which I've done eight times and learned to love!
- The Lake
District Mountain Trial which I ran in
2007. It was a great course but hard work.
- The High Peak Marathon which I failed to complete (in
2007) because I had a train to catch. It was a interesting experience,
but maybe not one to be repeated!
- The Yorkshire 3 Peaks
Race which I ran in 2006 and loved.
- The Two
Breweries which I ran in 2004 and loved.
- The Lowe Alpine
- 3rd on Novice in 1999 with Agnès Guyon
- DNF on B in 2000 with Iain Davidson
- 3rd on B in 2001 with Jo Scott
- 8th on B (1st Mixed) in 2007 with Kirsten Ramsey
- 17th on B in 2008 with Philip Morant
- 9th on B in 2009 with Rob Wilson
- 12th on Score in 2010 with Pete Huzan
- 6th on B in 2014 with Jeff Roberts
- My knee injury prevented me from competing in the last ever LAMM in 2018, but I went anyway and had two fine days in the hills of Harris.
Carnethy in the 2007 Pentland Skyline