When you arrive in Edinburgh, head for the Medical School on Teviot Place. It's a 15 minute walk from Waverley Railway Station or 11/12 minutes by public transport---saving half the walk. A taxi would be the easiest way. Enter the Medical School courtyard by the entrance on Teviot Place. Go straight across the courtyard and enter Doorway 3. Go up one floor, following signs for the Biomedical Teaching Organisation (Office). Registration will take place outside this office---by the elephant skeletons! The lecture room for Monday, Wednesday and Thursday is on the next floor.
Lectures take place in rooms 12, 13 and 16 of the Medical School. The modelling stream classes (Room M2) and its presentations and assessment (Room 2.06) take place in Appleton Tower. Coffee/tea breaks during the week will take place in the Medical School Common Room (Doorway 3 - ground floor).
More detailed information on locations and timetable
There will be a welcome reception in the Loft Bar of Teviot (Row) House at 19:00 on Monday 4 June and the course dinner in the Dining Room of Teviot (Row) House at 19:00 on Wednesday 6 June. Although coffee and tea will be provided at the mid-morning and mid-afternoon breaks, no lunches will be provided. However, the course takes place in the centre of Edinburgh where there are many places to eat.
The "Excursion" on the Wednesday morning will consist of a walking tour of Edinburgh, leaving at 10:00 from the accommodation (Ewing House at Pollock Halls) and finishing at about 12:30 near the venue for the afternoon's lectures. Those interested will be split into at least two groups. One or two groups will (weather permitting) go up the local "mountain" (Arthur's Seat) in Holyrood Park and then visit features in the city. The other group will walk through Holyrood Park and then visit more features in the city.
Hard copies of course documents [except for the locations and timetable information (above) and Computing information (below)] will not be given out.
- Pre-reading for Foundations of convexity
- Pre-reading for General convex optimization I
- Pre-reading for General convex optimization II
- Pre-reading for IPM for LP, IPM for QP I, IPM for QP II, IPM for SOCP and IPM for SDP
- Pre-reading for LP I and Structure and Matrix Sparsity
- Pre-reading for the modelling stream
- Computing information: lab login and wifi
- Immanuel Bomze (Vienna) email@example.com
- Sergio Garcia Quiles (Edinburgh) Sergio.Garcia-Quiles@ed.ac.uk
- Jacek Gondzio (Edinburgh) J.Gondzio@ed.ac.uk
- Julian Hall (Edinburgh) J.A.J.Hall@ed.ac.uk
- Emre Alper Yildirim (Koc) firstname.lastname@example.org
Hard copies of lecture documents will not be given out.
Sergio Garcia Quiles (All students)
These lecture documents are identical the first section of the pre-reading.
Sergio Garcia Quiles (Modelling Stream)
The first of these lecture documents is identical the second section of the pre-reading.
- Short Introduction to Xpress
- Modelling wtih Xpress
- Assignment basic text
- Assignment basic text (solution)
- Assignment full text
- Xpress files
- All students: Interior Point Methods for Linear Programming
- All students: Interior Point Methods for Convex Quadratic Programming
- Theoretical Stream: Interior Point Methods for Semidefinite Programming
- Theoretical Stream: Interior Point Methods for Second Order Cone Programming
- All students: Linear Programming I
- Theoretical Stream: Structure and Matrix Sparsity I
- Theoretical Stream: Structure and Matrix Sparsity II