MATH10010 Mathematical Education
This course surveys theories of learning and teaching mathematics, and is aimed at final-year undergraduates in the School of Mathematics.
I have been Course Organiser on this course since 2016/17.
MATH07003 Fundamentals of Algebra and Calculus
I worked with Richard Gratwick to co-develop this introductory course in 2018, and I have been Course Organiser since the course was first offered in 2018/19.
The innovative design of the course draws on many ideas from education research. You can visit my blog for more information about the design and evaluation of the course.
I previously designed and led computer lab sessions for Y3 Honours Differential Equations and Y3 Honours Algebra, including redeveloping course materials in 2019/20 to use Python and SageMath instead of Maple.
I regularly offer undergraduate projects on topics related to mathematics education, often linked to my ongoing research interests.
- Example generation and STACK (2 x individual project) - see project repository
- Comparative judgement (group of 5 + individual project)
- Aesthetics of proof (group of 2)
- Task analysis (group of 2)
- Using comparative judgement (group of 4)
- Using item response theory to calibrate assessments (group of 4)
- Classroom practices and lecture recording (group of 3)
- Investigating example spaces in mathematics (individual Dissertation)
Task analysis in undergraduate mathematics, which led to the publication Kinnear et al. (2020).